Work Visas for Canada

To apply for a work permit from outside Canada, you must submit the following:
  • A job offer from a Canadian employer
  • A completed application
  • Written confirmation from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)

“Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) allows employers in Canada to hire a foreign worker to fill the job in most cases. This confirmation is widely known as a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).”

  • You must satisfy that you will leave Canada at the end of your work permit.
  • You must show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family while you are in Canada.
  • You must respect the law and have no criminal record. (You may have to provide a police clearance certificate)
  • You must show that you are not a risk to the security of Canada.
  • Be in good health. (You may have to provide medical reports)

If you are offered a job that cannot be filled by a Canadian and the Canadian employer is able to satisfy the ESDC, and receive a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) then you may be able to apply for a work permit. The permit is issued for the duration of the employment contract usually up to a maximum of 3 years.

Working in Canada Tool

If you need help finding out what your occupation is called in Canada and what jobs are open across the country, you can use the Working in Canada Tool. It will give you a detailed labour market report that includes information on wages and job opportunities for your occupation and the city where you would like to work.

This tool can help you prepare to work in Canada before you travel and after you arrive. If you want to learn more about Working in Canada Tool, please visit: Working in Canada Tool

Important note:

Generally, employers in Canada are reluctant to sponsor candidates from overseas unless there are specific skills shortages. Frequently Canadian employers do not consider applicants unless they are issued a Canadian residence visa, are present in Canada for an interview and are able to start work with short notice. Therefore unless you are to be transferred to Canada by your current employer this can be a very difficult visa to obtain.

Note: Employers in Canada can hire temporary foreign workers through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) or the International Mobility Program (IMP).

To learn more about this visa category, please visit: Working temporarily in Canada

× How can I help you?