Skilled Migration


Skilled Migration

Employer Sponsored Workers

For people with recognised skills seeking to work in Australia after being sponsored by an Australian or overseas employer.

Professionals and other Skilled Migrants

This program, also known as General Skilled Migration, is for people who are not sponsored by an employer but who have skills in particular occupations required in Australia.

Visa Options

There is a range of visa options under the General Skilled Migration program for skilled workers who want to live in Australia and who do not have an employer sponsoring them. These include options for skilled people applying as an independent migrant as well as those sponsored by a relative, or nominated by a State or Territory government.


Independent migrants have the least number of restrictions placed on them and this is the preferred option for eligible applicants who do not have an employer to sponsor them. Assess your eligibility for the independent visas before you continue.


If you are sponsored by an eligible relative, please note that there are a number of obligations that must be met by your sponsor.

Visit the following links to learn more about the different categories:

If you are in Australia

If you are outside Australia

If you are New Zealand Citizen

If You Hold a Skilled – Independent Regional (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 495)

If You Hold a Skilled – Designated Area Sponsored (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 496)

Adding Family Members to Your Visa


SkillSelect is an online system that enables skilled workers interested in migrating to Australia to record their details to be considered for a skilled visa through an Expression of Interest (EOI).

Doctors and Nurses

Information and visa options for doctors and nurses who want to work in Australia.

Regional Employment

Information about options available to encourage skilled migrants to live and work in areas outside of Australia’s major cities.

Source: Department of Immigration and Citizenship-Australia

× How can I help you?